用户名: 密码:    
切换为不分页显示
【论坛首页】→ 【学习交流】→ 主题:[轻松英语]冷如刀 灼如炬 李光耀名言录

字体:    回复
[轻松英语]冷如刀 灼如炬 李光耀名言录
besky(2015/4/27 14:32:48)  点击:51744  回复:0  IP:121.* * *
新加坡前总理李光耀因病于23日凌晨3时18分在新加坡中央医院去世,享年91岁。李光耀是新加坡开国元首,1959年至1990年担任总理,被誉为“新加坡国父”。同时也是新加坡现任总理李显龙的父亲。

强悍丶充满斗志甚至偏执的强人远去,我们一起来回顾一下他冷硬如刀丶直指人心的箴言。

李光耀谈媒体

【No news is good news】

“I have always thought it strange that a country figures prominently in the world press mainly when it is in trouble…Nobody in the rest of the world heard much about Singapore until it was captured by the Japanese in 1942 or again until there were riots in 1955 and 1956 in the course of one of which two members of your fraternity were killed. I have come to believe that, so far as the foreign press is concerned, no news is good news.”

Speech at Foreign Correspondents Association, 16th Sep, 1959

没有新闻就是好新闻

“我总是觉得此事很奇怪:一个国家有麻烦时,就会受到国际媒体注目......1942年日本占领新加坡之前,或1955年和1956年新加坡发生暴动期间导致两名记者遇害之前,世上没有多少人听过新加坡这个地方。後来我开始明白,当涉及外国媒体时,没有消息就是好消息。”

──李光耀於1959年9月16日於外国记者协会发言

关於国际领袖

【谁最伟大?】

“I would say the greatest was Deng Xiaoping. At his age, to admit that he was wrong, that all these ideas, Marxism, Leninism, Maoism, they are just not working and have to be abandoned, you need a great man to do that…”

- Tom Plate's Conversations with Lee Kuan Yew

“我觉得最伟大的是邓小平。以他这个年纪,要承认自己的错误,承认马克斯丶列宁丶毛泽东思想不可行而必须放弃,只有伟人才能做到。”

──《李光耀对话录》(Conversations with Lee Kuan Yew )汤姆.普雷特(Tom Plate)著

【On Deng Xiaoping (again)】

Deng Xiao Ping is a great man because he changed China froma broken-backed state, which would have imploded like the Soviet Union, into what it is today, on the way to becoming the world's largest economy.

- "Hard Truths to Keep Singapore Going"

再谈邓小平

“邓小平是个伟人。中国原是一个破败的国家,本可能像苏联那样崩溃,但他一手改变了中国的命运,让这个国家变成今天的面貌,并逐步成为全球最大经济体。”

──《新加坡赖以生存的硬道理》

【On Xi Jinping】

“I would put him in Nelson Mandela's class of persons. A person with enormous emotional stability who does not allow his personal misfortunes or sufferings to affect his judgement. In other words, he is impressive.”

- TIME Nov 19, 2007

谈及习近平

“我认为习近平能够与纳尔逊.曼德拉(NelsonMandela)相提并论:一个情绪极为稳定丶不受自身苦难影响判断的人──换言之,是个了不起的人物。”

──《时代杂志》(2007年11月19日)

【On Americans】

“The Americans are great missionaries. They have an irrepressible urge to convert others.”

- 1992, The Wit & Wisdom of Lee Kuan Yew

谈美国人

“美国人是了不起的传教士,他们有一股难以压抑的冲动,要别人改变信仰。”

──《李光耀才智名人名言录》(1992年)

【On thegreatest US President that he'veseen】

“But for the misfortune of Watergate, I would say Richard Nixon. He had a realistic view of the world. He was a great analyst, realistic, but also a tactician to get things done. But this need with wanting to know everything and to make sure he got re-elected became obsessive.”

最伟大的美国总统是?

“如果没有水门事件,我认为是理查·尼克森(Richard Nixon)。他的世界观很务实,分析力很强,实事求是,还精於谋略,把事情办好。但他凡事过问的性格,加上极希望连任,令他为人变得过於执着。”

──《李光耀对话录》(Conversations with Lee Kuan Yew )

汤姆·普雷特(Tom Plate)著

【On the worst US President】

“my name is Jimmy Carter, I'm a peanut farmer, I'm running for president. The next thing you know, he was the president!”

最差劲的美国总统是?

“我的名字是吉米·卡特(Jimmy Carter),我是种花生的,现在竞选总统。然後,他就当了总统!”

汤姆·普雷特(Tom Plate)著

【On George W. Bush】

“I would not put him (George W Bush) the second worst. Iwould say Bush Jr. had melancholy advisers…Bush Jr. knew he didn't have much experience. It is virtue to know yourself”.

谈乔治·布什

“我不认为他是第二差的总统。我觉得小布什的顾问分析事物过於悲观……布什自知经验不足,了解自己是一种美德。”

汤姆·普雷特(Tom Plate)著

【On Bill Clinton】

“Very clever man, very political, likeable fellow because he's got that outgoing personality… When he talks to you, you are the most important person in the world. But I think, it's generally true, he breaks the rules… Well, in his case, it's partly his character. I don't know. I mean, he had a difficult childhood and so on, so forth”.

谈比尔·克林顿

“他很聪明,精於政治,且性格外向,很讨人欢喜……跟他说话,你会自觉是世上最重要的人。但我想,他经常犯规,这大致上也是事实……就他的情况来说,这部份是他性格所致。我不知道。我的意思是:他的童年很艰苦,诸如此类…….”

汤姆·普雷特(Tom Plate)著

【On British politicians】

“In Britain, if you look at the First Class Honours list of Oxford or Cambridge and trace their careers, you will find that these people end up not in politics, but in banking, finance and the professions.”

谈及英国政治人物

“在英国,要是看看牛津或剑桥一等荣誉毕业生的事业历程,就会发现这些人最终没有从政,而是当上银行家丶金融家或专业人士。”

【On Lee Hsien Loong】

“If I were not the Prime Minister, he [Lee Hsien Loong]could have become Prime Minister several years earlier. It is against my interest to allow any family member, who's incapable, to be holding an important job because that would be a disaster for Singapore and my legacy.That cannot be allowed.

- 2005 The Wit & Wisdom of Lee Kuan Yew

谈及李显龙

“如果我没当上总理,他可能早几年就坐上那个位置了。我不会让不够格的家庭成员担任要职,因为这对新加坡或我本人的历史功过来说,都是个灾难。绝不能允许有那样的事。”

──《李光耀才智名人名言录》(2005年)

【On whetherhe was proud of his son being the PM】

“Yeah, but at the same time, I must be very careful that heis not going to smudge the record.. Well, he has got a tough time, but he has got more resources than I had when I started.”

谈是否为儿子当上总理而自豪

“是的。但我也非常小心,以免他犯错……他正面对一个艰难时期,但比起我掌政之初,他可以运用的资源丰富得多。”

汤姆·普雷特(Tom Plate)著

关於治国

“I always tried to be correct, not politically correct.”

- 2000 The Wit & Wisdom of Lee Kuan Yew

“我只做正确的事情,不管是否政治正确。”

──《李光耀才智名人名言录》(2000年)

“What are our priorities? First, the welfare, the survival of the people. Then, democratic norms and processes which from time to time we have to suspend.”

- 1986 National Day Rally

“我们先要处理的事是什麽?第一,福利和民生。其次是民主规范,以及须不时中止的民主进程。”

──1986年国庆群众大会

Even from my sick bed, even if you are going to lower me into the grave and I feel something is going wrong, I will get up.

- 1988 National Day Rally

哪怕我卧病在床丶哪怕我已经入土,要是我觉得新加坡有什麽不妥,我就会站起来。

──1988年国庆群众大会

“My colleagues are not intimidated by me. Far from it. They speak their minds. Nothing has happened to them. But if we allow vicious, evil attacks to pass unchallenged - then the whole system must be undermined.”

- 1988 The Wit & Wisdom of Lee Kuan Yew

“我的同僚并不怕我,一点都不。他们有话就直说,也没什麽后果。但如果我们任由他人恶意攻击,整个制度就将遭到破坏。”

──《李光耀才智名人名言录》(1988年)

“I have been accused of many things in my life, but not evenmy worst enemy has ever accused me of being afraid to speak my mind.”

- 1955, The Wit & Wisdom of Lee Kuan Yew

“我平生受过各种指责,但连我最大的敌人都不敢说我怯於表达意见。”

──《李光耀才智名人名言录》(1955年)

“One-man-one-vote is a most difficult form of government..Results can be erratic.”

- Dec 19 1984

“一人一票是最难操作的政制形式……结果难以预料。”

——1984年12月19日

【On hiscritics】

“Not all who oppose the PAP are communists; some arecommunists, some reactionaries, some opportunists and some merely confused.”

- 1961, The Wit & Wisdom of Lee Kuan Yew

谈及反对者

“并非所有反对人民行动党的人都是共产主义者。他们有些是共产主义者丶有些是反动分子丶有些是机会主义者,但有些只是糊涂蛋。”

──《李光耀才智名人名言录》(1961年)

【On interfering in S'poreans' private lives】

“I am often accused of interfering in the private lives of citizens. Yes, if I did not, had I not done that, we wouldn't be here today. And I say without the slightest remorse, that we wouldn't be here, we would not have made economic progress, if we had not intervened on very personal matters - who your neighbour is, how you live, the noise you make, how you spit, or what language you use. We decide what is right. Never mind what the people think.”

- The Straits Times, 20 April 1987

谈及他干预新加坡人的生活

“我经常被指责干预新加坡人的私生活。对,但如果我不这样做,我们今天不会有这样的成就。我可以毫不懊悔地说,若我们从没介入国民的私人问题,你我今天不会有这样的成就,国家也无法取得现时的经济发展──你的邻居是谁?你如何生活?你制造的噪音、你怎样吐痰或你所用的语言,都是由国家决定对错。不要理会别人的想法。”

──1987年4月20日《海峡时报》

【On a typical S'porean】

“You know the Singaporean. He is a hard-working, industrious, rugged individual. Or we would not have made the grade. But let us also recognise that he is a champion grumbler.

- 1977 The Wit & Wisdom of Lee Kuan Yew

谈新加坡人的典型性格

“你们知道的。新加坡人努力工作丶勤奋且坚定,否则我们达不到眼下的成绩。但我们也须承认,新加坡人是牢骚大王。”

──《李光耀才智名人名言录》(1977年)

【On Americans' view of Singapore】

“They don't know where Singapore is, they are notinterested. They think of only Michael Fay, then maybe caning, chewing gum…strange odd place this Singapore”.

谈美国人对新加坡的看法

“美国人对新加坡不感兴趣,连新加坡在哪里都不清楚。美国人谈到新加坡,只知道迈克尔?费伊(MichaelFay)(译注:受鞭刑的美国青年),或鞭刑丶口香糖......认为新加坡是个怪地方。”

汤姆·普雷特(Tom Plate)著

【S'pore as a nanny state】

If Singapore is a nanny state, then I am proud to have fostered one.

- From Third World to First, The Singapore Story: 1965-2000

新加坡是保姆国家?

“若果真如此,我会很自豪地说:自己建立了一个这样的国家。”

──《从第三世界到第一世界:新加坡的故事(1965-2000)》李光耀著

【Of S'poreans and Dogs】

“If you can select a population and they're educated and they're properly brought up, then you don't have to use too much of the stick because they would already have been trained. It's like with dogs. You train it in a proper way from small. It will know that it's got to leave, go outside topee and to defecate. No, we are not that kind of society. We had to train adult dogs who even today deliberately urinate in the lifts.”

- The Man and His Ideas

新加坡人与狗

“如可以挑选国民,而这批国民是受过教育的丶从小就很有教养,这样管治时就不必太过严厉,因为他们受过训练。情况就跟狗一样。若小狗从小就以适当方式培训,就会知道要到外面撒尿大便。但新加坡不是这种社会。我们曾经努力训练一些成年狗,但它们还是会刻意在电梯里小便。”

──《李光耀其人及其思想》(The Man and His Ideas)

【On governing:】

“You've got to do one of two things when you've got to keep people happy: either, give them something that will satisfy them, better food, better clothes, better homes; or if you can't do that, then give them the vision of greatness to come”.

- Luncheon held by the Australian Institute of Management at the Australia Hotel, Sydney,Australia, 22 March, 1965, Lee Kuan Yew in his own words, 1959-1970

管治之道

“要让人民快乐,有两件事情是可以做的,但必须做其中一件。一是给予人民感到满足的东西──好的食物丶好的衣服丶一个美好的家;如果你做不到,就给他们一个美好的憧憬。” 

──李光耀1965年3月22日出席澳大利亚管理学院(Australian Institute of Management)於悉尼澳大利亚酒店(Australia Hotel)举行的午宴时发言

【On why Heaven does not need a Population White Paper】

“I wish I can meet my wife in the hereafter, but I don't think I will. I just cease to exist just as she has ceased to exist – otherwise the other world would be overpopulated.”

- One Man's View of the World.

谈是否相信天堂

“我希望死后能与妻子重逢,但我不觉得能实现。我只会像她一样,不复存在──否则另一个世界的人口便会过多。”

──《李光耀观天下》(OneMan's View of the World)

【On love】

I don't believe in love at first sight. I think it's a grave mistake. You're attracted by physical characteristics and you will regret it.

- Hard Truths to Keep Singapore Going

谈爱

“我不相信一见钟情。我认为那是大错特错。因为你只是被对方的外表吸引,最终定会后悔。”

──《新加坡赖以向前发展的硬道理》(Hard Truths to Keep Singapore Going)

【On saying no】

“You lose nothing by being polite. The answer is 'No', but please say it politely and give the reasons… Explain to me why 'No'. Don't change 'No' to 'Yes'. Don't be a fool. If there was a good reason why it is 'No', it must remain 'No', but the man must be told politely.”

- to Civil Servants at the Victoria Theatre,30 Sep 1965

谈如何说不

“对人有礼,于己无损。说不时应有礼貌,并解释原因……告知对方你为何说不。但绝不能以'是'代替'不',勿做愚人。有理由说不时,就必须坚持,但必须有礼地告知对方。”

──1965年9月30日李光耀于新加坡维多利亚剧院告诫公务员

【On life】

“Life is notjust eating, drinking, television and cinema…The human mind must be creative,must be self-generating; it cannot depend on just gadgets to amuse itself.”

- Speech at Chinese New Year and Hari Raya Haji Celebrations held at Joo Seng Community Centre, 28th Feb 1970

谈生命应该如何度过

“生命不只是吃、喝、看电视、看电影……人类必须具创意、必须有自发性,不可只依赖玩意儿自娱。”

──1970年2月28日李光耀于裕盛社区中心举行的春节及新加坡哈芝节庆上发言

【On eugenics】

“There are many sons of doctors who have married doctors. Those who married spouses who are not as bright are tearing their hair out because their children can't make it. I have lived long enough to see all this play out.”

谈及优生学

“有很多医生的子女与医生成婚。那些伴侣稍逊的人现正为自己的子女不成器而懊恼。我平生看过不少这样的实证。”

【谈讨个聪明老婆】

“So when the graduate man does not want to marry a graduate woman, I tell him he's a fool,stupid. You marry a non-graduate, you're going to have problems, some children bright, some not bright. You'll be tearing your hair out. you can't miss. It's like two dice. One is Jack, Queen, King, Ace, other also Jack, Queen, King, Ace. You throw a Jack, Queen, King, Ace against dice two , three, four, five,six, what do you get? You can't get high pairs, let alone a full flush.”

- Hard Truths to Keep Singapore Going

“因此,当大学程度的男生不想娶大学程度的女生时,我会说他愚蠢。要是嫁娶了非大学毕业生,之后烦恼必至:有些子女聪颖,有些则不然,到时你就会自食其果。这不会错,就像掷两颗骰子,一颗是侍卫、王后、国王、王牌,另一颗也是侍卫、王后、国王、王牌。但当你掷一颗侍卫、王后、国王、王牌的骰子,再掷另一颗一、二、三、四、五、六点数的骰子,你会得到什么?不可能是一对大点数,更不会是清一色。”

──《新加坡赖以向前发展的硬道理》(Hard Truths to Keep Singapore Going)

【死了才休息】

“Rest on laurels? I wish I could do that. No, you rest when you're dead”.

- 1978, The Wit & Wisdom of Lee Kuan Yew

“安于于现状?我希望我可以那么做。但不行,你只有死了才能安息。”

──《李光耀才智名人名言录》(1978年)

李光耀很幽默?

【On himselfnot being 'light-hearted”】

“I would not call myself 'fun-loving' or 'light-hearted'. But I am not serious all the time. Everyone needs to have a good laugh now and then, to see the funny side ofthings, and to laugh at himself”.

谈自己性格

“我不能说自己爱开玩笑或无忧无虑,但也并非任何时候都很严肃。人有时总需要开怀大笑,看看事情的轻松一面,并懂得自嘲。”

──《李光耀对话录》(Conversations with Lee Kuan Yew ),汤姆.普雷特(Tom Plate)着

【On leadership】

“I do not yet know of a man who became a leader as a result of having undergone a leadership course.”

- 1957, The Wit & Wisdom of Lee Kuan Yew

谈及领导力

“我没听说过有人上完领袖课便能当领袖的。”

──《李光耀才智名人名言录》(1957年)

【On leadership】

“Amazingly,throughout most of the contemporary Western world leaders in government requireno special training or qualification. Many get elected because they sound and look good on television. The results have been unhappy for their voters.”

- 1996, The Wit & Wisdom of Lee Kuan Yew

再谈及领导力

“令人惊讶的是,当今西方国家大部分领袖,都不曾接受专业培训,也没持有相关资格。他们在大选中胜出,原因是他们上电视时相貌堂堂、说话动听。但他们的表现最后叫选民失望。”

──《李光耀才智名人名言录》(1996年)
 导航:[上一篇下一篇] - [返回]
[本主题共0回复 | 每页显示30回复]

按用户名:  按标题:   按内容:       包括所有回复
【首页】→ 【学习交流】→ 回复:[轻松英语]冷如刀 灼如炬 李光耀名言录
标题:
    未登录!    

内容:
UBB:
匿名:×
专区:×
上传:

我们提供15个国家/地区的留学服务。您可以通过我们免费申请海外的10所大学,但是每个国家最多只能申请8所。免费申请的国家包括:英国 / 澳大利亚 / 新西兰 / 加拿大)。收费申请的国家包括:美国 / 香港 / 澳门 / 新加坡 / 爱尔兰 / 德国 / 荷兰 / 丹麦 / 瑞典 / 西班牙 / 马耳他 。海外大学查找

我们提供英国 / 美国 / 澳大利亚 / 新西兰 / 加拿大 / 爱尔兰的幼儿园,小学,初中,高中的私立学校(也称私校或独立学校)申请。海外私校查找

我们是英国签证移民署授权的顾问,我们提供各类英国签证和移民服务。签证类型和价格

我们的课程辅导补习覆盖英国的小学,初中,高中,大学,以及各类语言,备考,艺术辅导。辅导类型和价格

我们提供英国语言学校以及夏令营的申请服务。 语言学校查找 夏令营查找